Thursday, July 31, 2014

Mommy/Sophie games

You and I have at least two games that only we know and understand.

One of them goes by the name of "Don't Fall Off."  Despite what it sounds like, it's a singing game.  I don't even know how or why it started, but I do recall that it started in the car.  From your carseat in the back, you would call in a sing-song voice, "Don't fall off!"  and then I would sing it back to you.  Soon you began saying it in a myriad of voices:  high-pitched and squealy, low and gravelly like a monster, whispered quietly, shouted out like some punk song.  Each time I echo it back to you in the voice that you used.  It is silly and nonsensical, but it makes us both laugh and we go through a good 12-15 rounds of "Don't fall off" until we are over it.  If I mention "Don't fall off!" at any other time, you get a big, knowing grin on your face.

"Diaper Monster" has been around for us for a long time.  I hold up one of your diapers and pretend it's a crocodile--"cocodrilo" to you because you have enjoyed a lot of Dora the Explorer.  I make it snap it's jaws open and closed while roaring, "DIAPER MONSTER!" and making it eat your head, face, and any flailing limb that I can manage to grab.  You love the game, and run around screaming and squealing and giggling.  Only recently have you begun to initiate "Diaper Monster" on your own.  You were so sweet and restrained about it that it took me a minute to figure out what you were doing.  Standing in front of me, you wave the diaper in my direction with a quiet little, "Rawr!"


No comments:

Post a Comment